The biggest collection of steam engines in the Southern Hemisphere. Open 7-days at Westbury, Tasmania READ MORE

Just a few of our exhibits:

Harley Davidson 1928 Twin Cylinder 1000cc

This bike was restored by the late Gordon (Mate) Pearn.  (1920—1994)     A first cousin of Jack, Verdun and Zenith, Mate and his brother Fordrey, developed a farm and earth moving business, which remains successfully operated by their...
Read More

Marshall Roller Engine No 83221

6HP Class “S” engine, built in 1926 at Gainsborough, England. Purchased new by the Circular Head Municipal Council who sold it to the Public Works Department in 1953. The roller worked in the Stanley area from 1952 until 1956. Purchased by Mr Hill, Launceston in 1958...
Read More

Buffalo Pitts Engine

Single 8HP engine, built in the USA in 1905. The second owner was Mr J Breen from Mole Creek, who used it for farm work and sawmilling. Other owners have been Mr Frederick Howard of Cressy (1913) and Mr M Baxter of Pipers Rivulet (1917) Agents were International...
Read More

Fowler Engine No 14047

A compound Model K type ploughing engine with 10HP. Built in Leeds England in 1914. This engine was also brought out from England in 1950 by Lunnicks and was sold to Mr Aitken near Burnie who used it for saw milling and hauling logs. Purchased by Pearn Brothers in...
Read More

Furphy water cart

In 1864, John Furphy established his family business J. Furphy and Sons and Furphy Foundry at Shepparton, Victoria. His steel and cast iron water tanks produced from the 1880s revolutionised the cartage of water for both domestic and livestock use. Previously during...
Read More

Fowler Engine No 15141

Built in Leeds England in 1918. A model BB! Winding engine of 16HP and weighing over 20 tons. The engine has 400 yards of wire cable. Brought to Tasmania from Christchurch England in 1950 by Mr H Lunn who operated the firm Lunnicks. Cost of freight from England was...
Read More

Foden Engine – no 1828

8HP compound engine, built in 1909 at Sandbach England. It is spring mounted and has three gears, (2, 4 and 6 Miles per hour). The firm of Foden dates from 1856.Purchased by Mr Charles Richardson of Westbury from Pearce Brothers of Maffra, Gippsland, Victoria in 1922,...
Read More

Birdsall Engine No 2538

ingle cylinder 8HP engine built at Auburn, New York in 1900. Original boiler registration number was 686 which was replaced in 1909 for registration number 1704. It has patent reverse gear, piston valve, and is spring mounted. Used by original owners Brumby Bros,...
Read More

Steam launch

Steam launch Whip Oor Will The steam engine driving this boat is a Stuart Turner, which was built from a kit by Alan Lauder Hume. A skilled aircraft engineer Alan was first based at Western Junction in the very early days of commercial aviation. A favourite spot to...
Read More

Eclipse Traction Engine No 7491

Made in the USA by Frick & Co, Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, in 1898. 8HP. Purchased from Mr Morey of Swansea. Previously used to drive a bark mill. Purchased by Pearn Brothers in 1966 and restored in 1986. A similar engine to this is featured in the Smithsonian...
Read More

Fire engine

Fire engine
Read More

Marshall Engine No 81563

this is a single cylinder portable type 5HP engine which was built in 1930 at Gainsborough England. It has a star crowned firebox. Previously owned by Mr Kerwin of St Helens and was used for driving a pump at a tin mine. Restored by Pearn Brothers in 1965
Read More

Aveling and Porter No 2524 6HP

Purchased by J & T Gunn, Tasmania August 12 1889
Read More

Foden Engine – no 2108

8 HP single cylinder engine was built in 1910 at Sandbach, England. Purchased by Mr. A Aulich of St. Mary’s, for 750 pounds from the firm Finlayson’s at Devonport. Mr Edward Pearn purchased the engine for 400 pounds in 1935 and it was used throughout the local...
Read More

Aveling and Porter No 11733

This 7HP compound KT Engine was built in 1926 at Rochester, Kent, England. Used by the Public works Department Hobart (No 6) for stone crushing until 1929. In 1937 Mr W E Peterson used it for hauling power transformers and machinery to Tarraleah Hydro Station, then...
Read More

Facebook Posts

When cousins Henry (top left) and Eric (foreground) Pearn left their homes in the green fields of Bracknell, Tasmania they couldn't possibily imagine the brutality of life on the Western Front. This picture was taken on the 20th September 1917, following the Battle of Menin Road, which along with the better known Battle for Polygon Wood a week later, formed part of a greater British offensive in Flanders, the 1917 Third Battle of Ypres. In a letter to his cousin Ted Pearn, Eric speaks about receiving a birthday cake from home and hoping to go on leave, before commenting 'suppose I shall soon be going back to the hell on earth". Both Henry and Eric returned to Australia. This photograph is from the Library of Victoria collection and was given to Pearns Steam World by Henry and Eric's descendent Ian Conn. 'Lest We Forget' ... See MoreSee Less

When cousins Henry (top left) and Eric (foreground) Pearn left their homes in  the green fields of Bracknell, Tasmania they couldnt possibily imagine the brutality of life on the Western Front.  This picture was taken on the 20th September 1917, following the Battle of  Menin Road, which along with the better known Battle for Polygon Wood a week later, formed part of a greater British offensive in Flanders, the 1917 Third Battle of Ypres. In a letter to his cousin Ted Pearn, Eric speaks about receiving a birthday cake from home and hoping to go on leave, before commenting  suppose I shall soon be going back to the hell on earth.  Both Henry and Eric returned to Australia.  This photograph is from the Library of Victoria collection and was given to Pearns Steam World by Henry and Erics descendent Ian Conn.  Lest We Forget

Comment on Facebook

Clynton Brown

ANZAC DAY Trading Hours - Pearn's Steam World will be closed until 12noon on Tuesday 25th April 2017 ~ "Lest We Forget" ... See MoreSee Less

ANZAC DAY Trading Hours - Pearns Steam World will be closed until 12noon on Tuesday 25th April 2017 ~ Lest We Forget

3 weeks ago

Pearn's Steam World

This picture is held within the Tasmanian Archives. Any ideas who, what and where? Our first guess is a Buffalo Pitts engine, with the picture taken in the Coal River Valley. It would bne great if we could provide some details for the good people at Heritage Tasmania. ... See MoreSee Less

This picture is held within the Tasmanian Archives.  Any ideas who, what and where?   Our first guess is a Buffalo Pitts engine, with the picture taken in the Coal River Valley.  It would bne great if we could provide some details for the good people at Heritage Tasmania.

Comment on Facebook

It does have a name on it but can't work out what is says.

Looks to be an Andrew and Bevens chaff cutter.

Featured pictures from Steam World

Pearn's Steam World

Address: 65 Meander Valley Rd, Westbury, Tasmania, 7303 Australia
Phone (03) 6393 1414
Afterhours (03) 6397 3313
Email: contact@steamworld.com.au

Hours: Daily July, Aug, Sept 10am - 3pm
Other Months from 9am – 4pm
(Except Christmas Day and Good Friday)

Admission: $10 Adults $7 Seniors Card Holder and $5 children under 15 (concessions do not apply for Steam Up weekend) Group bookings are welcome

Pearn's Steam World

65 Meander Valley Rd, Westbury, Tasmania Open 7-days

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This