The largest collection of steam engines in the southern hemisphere

In the 1950’s the Pearn Brothers, jack, Verdun and Zenith realized that the introduction of new machinery and combustion engine tractors meant the passing of an era. So they started collecting steam traction engines and machinery to save Tasmanian agricultural history for the future. The collection dates back to the late 1800s and contains many items of State, national and international Significance.

In 2001 the Pearn Brothers donated their collection in trust to the local community. The museum is run solely by volunteers with all profits returned for the restoration of the collection and ongoing improvements. Pearn’s Steam World collection comprises more than 200 major items – easily the largest collection in the southern hemisphere.

Furphy water cart

In 1864, John Furphy established his family business J. Furphy and Sons and Furphy Foundry at Shepparton, Victoria. His steel and cast iron water tanks produced from the 1880s revolutionised the cartage of water for both domestic and livestock use. Previously during...

read more

Harley Davidson 1928 Twin Cylinder 1000cc

This bike was restored by the late Gordon (Mate) Pearn.  (1920—1994)     A first cousin of Jack, Verdun and Zenith, Mate and his brother Fordrey, developed a farm and earth moving business, which remains successfully operated by their descendants. This bike is on...

read more

Steam launch

Steam launch Whip Oor Will The steam engine driving this boat is a Stuart Turner, which was built from a kit by Alan Lauder Hume. A skilled aircraft engineer Alan was first based at Western Junction in the very early days of commercial aviation. A favourite spot to...

read more

Marshall Engine No 81563

this is a single cylinder portable type 5HP engine which was built in 1930 at Gainsborough England. It has a star crowned firebox. Previously owned by Mr Kerwin of St Helens and was used for driving a pump at a tin mine. Restored by Pearn Brothers in 1965

read more

Buffalo Pitts Engine

Single 8HP engine, built in the USA in 1905. The second owner was Mr J Breen from Mole Creek, who used it for farm work and sawmilling. Other owners have been Mr Frederick Howard of Cressy (1913) and Mr M Baxter of Pipers Rivulet (1917) Agents were International...

read more

Eclipse Traction Engine No 7491

Made in the USA by Frick & Co, Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, in 1898. 8HP. Purchased from Mr Morey of Swansea. Previously used to drive a bark mill. Purchased by Pearn Brothers in 1966 and restored in 1986. A similar engine to this is featured in the Smithsonian...

read more

Birdsall Engine No 2538

ingle cylinder 8HP engine built at Auburn, New York in 1900. Original boiler registration number was 686 which was replaced in 1909 for registration number 1704. It has patent reverse gear, piston valve, and is spring mounted. Used by original owners Brumby Bros,...

read more

Fowler Engine No 14047

A compound Model K type ploughing engine with 10HP. Built in Leeds England in 1914. This engine was also brought out from England in 1950 by Lunnicks and was sold to Mr Aitken near Burnie who used it for saw milling and hauling logs. Purchased by Pearn Brothers in...

read more

Fowler Engine No 15141

Built in Leeds England in 1918. A model BB! Winding engine of 16HP and weighing over 20 tons. The engine has 400 yards of wire cable. Brought to Tasmania from Christchurch England in 1950 by Mr H Lunn who operated the firm Lunnicks. Cost of freight from England was...

read more

Marshall Roller Engine No 83221

6HP Class “S” engine, built in 1926 at Gainsborough, England. Purchased new by the Circular Head Municipal Council who sold it to the Public Works Department in 1953. The roller worked in the Stanley area from 1952 until 1956. Purchased by Mr Hill, Launceston in 1958...

read more

Aveling and Porter No 11733

This 7HP compound KT Engine was built in 1926 at Rochester, Kent, England. Used by the Public works Department Hobart (No 6) for stone crushing until 1929. In 1937 Mr W E Peterson used it for hauling power transformers and machinery to Tarraleah Hydro Station, then...

read more

Foden Engine – no 1828

8HP compound engine, built in 1909 at Sandbach England. It is spring mounted and has three gears, (2, 4 and 6 Miles per hour). The firm of Foden dates from 1856.Purchased by Mr Charles Richardson of Westbury from Pearce Brothers of Maffra, Gippsland, Victoria in 1922,...

read more

Foden Engine – no 2108

8 HP single cylinder engine was built in 1910 at Sandbach, England. Purchased by Mr. A Aulich of St. Mary’s, for 750 pounds from the firm Finlayson’s at Devonport. Mr Edward Pearn purchased the engine for 400 pounds in 1935 and it was used throughout the local...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This